Designed in 1925 by John D. Chubb, the Walter Reuther Central High School is part of the Kenosha Civic Center National Historic District. Berglund Construction was hired to complete the Neoclassical school’s exterior façade rehabilitation project.
The project was undertaken after an investigation determined that water had infiltrated the limestone façade and had corroded the steel sub-structure. To repair the deteriorated limestone features and steel sub-structure, Berglund’s scope of work required disassembling the limestone façade from the third-floor window up (approximately 15 vertical feet). Once the steel was exposed, repairs were made and the façade was reassembled. In total, approximately 2 million pounds of masonry were moved and the façade was rebuilt using more than 90 percent of the original material. Meticulous documentation ensured that the façade was rebuilt to its original design.
While Berglund tradesmen disassembled and rebuilt the façade, school operations continued as uninterrupted. In 2013, the project was honored by the Kenosha Historic Commission.