Completed in 1938 during the Franklin D. Roosevelt administration, the Potter Stewart U.S. Courthouse was the second federally-owned building erected on the current site and the third federally-owned building in Cincinnati. The Potter Stewart U.S. Courthouse was built and designed in the Art Moderne, a late type of the Art Deco architecture and graphic design/style that emerged in the 1930s. The courthouse features primary elevations clad in Indiana limestone atop a dark granite base. Significant interior spaces include the two-story main lobby with marble detailing, the original elevator lobbies with decorative brushed-aluminum elevator doors, and historic courtrooms with original wood paneling. It is located in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio and is fully occupied. The building is 440,000 sqft, has nine stories, full basement, sub-basement areas and a mechanical penthouse.
GSA Potter Stewart U.S. Courthouse project work scope included exterior / structural restoration and improvements, mechanical and electrical system upgrades, conveyance systems to renovate two existing freight elevators, life safety improvements, interior alterations and a new judge’s chambers. This project was LEED certification for sustainability, accessibility and energy efficiency.