Berglund Construction completed an extensive exterior restoration at Northwestern University’s historic Dearborn Observatory.
The observatory, located on Northwestern’s Evanston campus, was designed by Cobb & Frost Architects and was constructed in 1889. The Richardsonian Romanesque style building is composed of crenellated walls and a tapering tower that holds a famed telescope, a walnut-veneered tube that sits on an equatorial mount.
Berglund’s work scope included tuckpointing the masonry, which required the craftsmen to match the existing beaded mortar joints. This type of mortar joint is formed by raising a rounded, bead-shaped segment of mortar away from the masonry surface to produce a formal aesthetic.
The project work scope also included replacing the slate roof, installing additional roof rafter supports at eyebrow dormers and restoring the windows.