This 1890’s building originally served as a music hall for an all women’s college. Under direction by BTL Arhitects, Berglund restored it to its original splendor using age-old tuckpointing techniques. All old repair mortars were removed by mechanical wet grinding so as not to expose the occupants to any airborne hazards. The mortar was replaced with the three original colors using a beaded finish joint, which would have been used in the original construction. Any deteriorated brick was removed and replaced in kind with reclaimed brick matching originals. Paint colors were selected based on period photos further enhancing the original historic look.
The building remained occupied and functional throughout the restoration. Many of the more intrusive repairs were made during off hours and on weekends. Little by little, layers of dirt and deterioration were peeled away to reveal the craftsmanship that had been hidden.
The original wood cornice was restored and many wooden elements were replaced with reclaimed wood that were fashioned to replicate originals. Other materials included brick, reclaimed Chicago commons, reclaimed period face brick, Type N Mortar in three different colors, Conproco Matrix patching materials and high-performance paint coatings that replicated the color of the original paint.